Here Comes the Bridal Makeup

I never hired a makeup artist to do my wedding makeup, partly due to being on a budget, but mainly because I wanted to do my own makeup.

I have always had my own distinctive makeup look and it is a far cry from the very natural look that must people expect a bride to have. This was not me however so I made the bold decision to wear blue eyeshadow and winged liner. Eight years ago when I got married I felt my vision of my bridal makeup would not have been understood.

Thankfully times are changing and people are more comfortable with the makeup choices they have for their wedding, as my beautiful friend and MUA Charlotte Crouch explains in this special guest post.

Charlotte is a phenomenally talented makeup artist and business woman who has been such a inspiration to me throughout my makeup journey. She writes…

“As a MUA (Make up Artist) one of my biggest problems that my Bridal Clients face is what is the correct look that they should have for their wedding. Generally they are pressurised by what family think they should have, or what magazines think is the PERFECT BRIDE.Well let me tell you what is the perfect look…….. YOU!
The perfect look for your wedding is being You! Showing your personality, your taste, your style, your best version of you! If you do not normally wear Makeup, you do not suddenly have to have a spray tan, false eye lashes and a full face of makeup.
I have had trials with my beautiful English Rose Brides where they have had family members trying to persuade them to have more then how they feel comfortable. In terms of photography a little bit more on the contour/ shadow spots is good especially if you like black and white pictures, but it should still look very natural in person. The same goes to my Glamours Janes, if you want to have glitter, contour and a red lip then go for it.

I get so frustrated reading forums, where Brides are slated for the looks they are going for by other woman in general. Is it not the reason your partner to be is marrying you, is for your style, personailty and who you are, not what you think they want to see.

So the secret to having the best wedding, is going with your heart and gut. Show off who you are, wear the red shoes, wear the glitter, leave your tattoos on show.

Its about the Marriage not the Wedding and the coming together of two people.”

Love and Sparkles

CharlotteCrouch MUA

Thanks so much to Charlotte for sharing her experience as a Bridal MUA.

Ciao for now makeup fans

20 Comments Add yours

1. niasimone says:

I totally agree that you shouldn’t have to fit some “perfect bride” mold in order to have an amazing wedding. There are so many things (magazines, television shows, etc.) that are trying to tell you what you should be. Whatever makes you happy is enough!

1. lifewithmrst says:

Exactly, my wedding was done on a tight budget and it was exactly like I wanted it, it was getting mattoef that mattered xx

2. Toni says:

Love your perspective here. And it is so right. The only thing that matters is what you want.

I think this applies to so many things in life. The results in the photos are amazing. Such great transformations.

1. lifewithmrst says:

Charlotte is so talented isn’t she? I think we have choices pushed upon us too much

3. Alison Steck says:

I love this! Getting married should be all about you, not some version of yourself that’s never been seen or will be done again. It’s wonderful that you change up styles based on the person and not sticking to one look all brides should have!

1. lifewithmrst says:

Charlotte is an amazing MUA and she inspires me everyday; I wish more of the makeup artists actually listened to their customers

4. Shell says:

Every bride should be able to have everything the way they want not what others expect including makeup 🙂 loved reading this so much!!

1. lifewithmrst says:

Glad you enjoyed this, people should be encouraged by professionals to say what they want

5. True. It’s your wedding, it’s your day. Your wishes should be what you should do and follow, not others. I got married with red wedding gown, red shoes, and red lips.

1. lifewithmrst says:

That sounds absolutely stunning, in the end it what makes you happy that counts

6. Ana says:

I had my makeup done by my hair stylist and loved it. I didn’t feel over done but I felt great and confident on my day.

1. lifewithmrst says:

It’s whatever works for the person, I prefer to do my own but completely understand how others can choose to get a makeup artist

7. It is your wedding and you can do what you please. If you are happy then that is what matters. You should look back at your pictures and memories and a recognize yourself.

1. lifewithmrst says:

Exactly, why be like someone else on what is your day

8. eyescantlie says:

This is very important!! Since im a bride to be i really dont mind an extra contour lol i love to show off my personality through makeup and im sure ill do mine for my wedding day… maybe some tips for a long lasting makeup would be appreciated lol… God bless you 💓🦄💓

1. lifewithmrst says:

Thanks I find layering my setting spray helps so do primer, spray, foundation and concealer, spray, powder products and then final spray. I did this on a night out and was still going strong after 8 hours

9. Nadia says:

As much as it’s so great to have all these things, like perfect makeup, stunning dress and beautiful hair, it is all, like was mentioned, about MARRIAGE 🙂 I remember my wedding day as if it happened yesterday (it was almost 3 years ago). I had my makeup done by a professional MUA who also happened to be a friend of a friend so I got a generous discount. I was happy with the final look and so glad I went with her because I wouldn’t be able to do it so flawlessly myself.
    Charlotte is incredibly talented!!!
    xox Nadia

1. lifewithmrst says:

It is great having a friend who is a makeup artist, unfortunately my makeup artist friends are all too far away

10. Amber b says:

Great post. I agree. People put so much stress on the wedding they forget it’s about a marriage.

1. lifewithmrst says:

I would get married wearing a bin bags if it meant marrying Mr T who is my soul mate