5 Things I Do To Keep Myself Sane.

I had been having a lazy Sunday, we have all had them; still sat in my pyjamas, strolling through different blogs and watching Ru Pauls Drag Race.

I was blessed to have my daughter Layla snuggled up next to me, asleep and finally giving me a moment where I do not have to be on constant ‘disaster watch’. Anyone who has had a 1 year old will understand their desire for creating mischief so this moment was truly a rare one that I wanted to savour.

However, something did not feel right; although having this rare moment of quiet and inactivity was lovely I realised that I should not make too much of a habit of it. The reason for this is that I have found that sitting around and doing nothing can lead to me feeling less than good about myself.

Thinking back to the darker times in my life there has been one thing I have always done; wallow and become inactive. At times like that I tend to shy away from doing things and then wonder why I have no social life or anything to do. I let things get on top of me and built up, I bet most of you have been there at some point in your life.

The reason why I am talking about this is I have had a particularly tough week this week, the darkness descended and I started going back to my old habits of wallowing and inactivity. I was at risk of letting all the hard work I had done on my own state of mind go to waste.

The great thing this time was I was able to recognise this and do something about it. I am determined not to be sucked into negativity, to see the signs and to turn my frown upside down by doing the things that keep me sane.

Taking some time to do something for myself.

I have been neglecting spending a lot of time on my makeup this week, partly due to the heat and partly because I have been tired and frustrated.  I feel like putting my makeup on and spending time on it is my daily form of mindfulness, it calms me and sets the mood for the day.

I feel creative and productive when I do my face which are both qualities that I feel should be nurtured in order to feel happiness in your life. I know that I am happy when my ‘makeup mojo’ gets back into full swing.

Having a routine

I am a creature of habit and I hate change, so when my midweek routine changed this week and I missed teatime with the kids plus getting them ready for bed, I think it flicked a switch inside my brain to say ‘something is not right, panic!’

I will never be truly comfortable with change so the only way I have learnt to cope with change is to focus on getting back to routine as soon as possible. People might think I am crazy for thinking that way but I’m not  hurting anyone by having a routine.

Planning to be productive

This has really only recently kicked in the past year and has mainly been a result of having children. Any parent will know the massive impact your child has on your life, your weekends are sent forever visiting friends, families or going to one event or another (the dreaded kids parties).

This is why I write lists for absolutely everything; at work, home for the plethora of children’s social events, school theme days appointments. This is because of the fact that my brain is not what she used to be, I do believe there is such a thing as ‘Parent brain’ that curses us and renders us incapable of remembering even the most basic thing, like our child’s name (I often get my kids names mixed up or even mixed up with the dog).

I have been introduced to bullet journaling by one of my beautiful friends and I am loving the way I can plan with it. I write things down that I want to do that month and then not have to worry about remembering to do it. I feel this has made me far more productive and less likely to feel bad as I am doing more of the things I want to do.

Cleaning, decluttering and sorting

After watching Ru Paul and then feeding Layla, I decided to do some tidying. I am in no way a cleaning obsessive, I’m too lazy for that. However I always turn to cleaning or decluttering whenever I have stuff on my mind, because it makes me feel like I have some control over things.

I did not do a lot, just 20 minutes on my makeup area, but that little bit of activity helped me focus on being productive and being happy. I have always found a good sorting out is cleansing for the soul, the mundaneness of the task helps you mull over the thoughts in your mind and make a plan of action to conquer them.

Even if I do 15 minutes, at least I have achieved something; in actual fact I have the task of sorting out my makeup area as one of my goals for the month in my bullet journal.

Being silly and taking the time to have fun

As I mentioned in a previous post (Embracing my inner clown) I love to play the fool and be silly. I think this is the biggest indicator that I am happy or not, the more wacky and jokey I am, the happier I am on the inside.

I try not to take things too seriously and always try to see the positive side of things, sometimes to the annoyance of others, like the ‘Debbie Downers’ of this world who constantly find fault with everything.

I spent today throwing plastic ball pit balls around the living room with my kids, singing silly songs and kicking a giant ball out of the kitchen into the garden. I was having the time of my life ad hopefully my kids were too.

Why be serious about every little thing? Have fun, be silly, run around like a fool with no worries; if it makes you smile a little more then go forth and do.

What things do you do to keep you sane? I would love to get everyone’s different takes on this topic as we are all so wonderfully different and all the jazz.

Ciao for now xx

29 Comments Add yours

1. LOVE this post! I definitely agree with keeping to a routine! Makes me feel super organised and more relaxed! xx

1. lifewithmrst says:

It’s weird how we get so reliant on a routine and any little change unnerve us

Liked by 1 person

2. Bianca says:

I can get stuck in a rut working from home. Having a schedule that is outside of the house really helps. I always start the day off with a walk.

I feel like I’m at the point where I have to schedule my schedules 😂😂

3. I think we are twins separated at birth! I am the same way–I love a steady routine, although I do struggle with the being silly part sometimes :0

1. lifewithmrst says:

I hate change, it gets me really worked up. The silly part I think it has come from not worrying about what others think and just doing what makes me happy.

4. When I read your first paragraph, I was like, is this me? I totally enjoy sitting in my pajamas and watching RuPaul’s Drag Race, lol. And I definitely agree with your tips, especially de-cluttering.

1. lifewithmrst says:

There is something to be said about just sitting around and watching RuPaul it cheers me up no end

5. Jody says:

The one thing that keeps me sane is a walk. When I feel stressed or down I take a short walk to clear my head and get back on track.

1. lifewithmrst says:

I am fortunate to have some lovely views around me so going for a walk definitely calms my mind

6. dipsjn says:

Fun post! Thanks for sharing – btw I have nominated you for the Mystery Blogger Award! Check out my recent post for more info! X

1. lifewithmrst says:

Thank you so much that’s it’s such a nice thing to do

1. dipsjn says:

No problem! X

7. Carly Nicole says:

LOL! Love this post! I go insane if I’m not “busying” myself – I’ll get bored and go crazy!!
    xx Carly | http://www.thecarlycollective.com

1. lifewithmrst says:

I feel like if I sit still I end up thinking too much and feel down so keeping myself busy keeps the negative thoughts away. thanks for reading xx

8. Love this! I force myself to get some me time as often as possible so I don’t lose my mind – even if it just means taking a long walk!

1. lifewithmrst says:

I think me time should be factored in every day

9. Tomislav Djukic says:

Amazing post i enyojed reading it thank you for sharing 😀

1. lifewithmrst says:

I’m really pleased you liked it

10. Lynn says:

Taking time for myself is a definite must. That and quiet. I even drive to and from work in complete silence and its great!

1. lifewithmrst says:

Silence is such a wonderful thing

11. Exercise and salmon keep my sane. My husband does as well, but sometimes even he can’t help me! LOL!

1. lifewithmrst says:

That sounds like a very healthy way to keep yourself sane, perfect.

Liked by 1 person

12. Jen says:

Totally concur with the “time for yourself” thing – an hour of solo cafe time does wonders!

1. lifewithmrst says:

I love sitting in a coffee shop with a caramel frappe and just letting the world go by

13. Really needed this right now! I can’t stress enough about the ‘time for yourself’ part! It’s so important we give ourselves time for literally anything! Thanks for sharing!
    xo Tina
    IG: @tinasweetheart

1. lifewithmrst says:

I’m glad it helped you it’s nice to know that my words can make people’s lives better