Have We Had Too Much Jeffree Star?

After writing my post on beauty Guru’s (Are Beauty Guru’s Bad Influencers) it got me thinking about their journeys’. Quite a few of these influencers have an their own journey’s; from humble beginnings filming in their bedroom and using what they could manage to gather on their day job earnings.
One influencer that has always intrigued me has been Jeffree Star, but recently I have been asking myself the question ‘have I had enough?’ Jeffree Star has never been a shrinking violet and could never be accused of being ‘boring’, but I am sat here questioning whether or not the pizzazz has faded in an resounding ‘meh’.

Jeffree, real name Jeffrey Lynn Steininger, started his notorious rise to celebrity status with his music career. He was the prodigal kid on the MySpace era with his music being played 25 million times on the social media platform. He produced two albums before moving into the realms of fashion with his line called Forever Beauty.

In 2014 Jeffree started his own line of cosmetics which he showcased on his YouTube channel along with many of his YouTube friends including Manny MUA, Laura Lee, NikkieTutorials and Nikita Dragun. His range has grown from liquid lipsticks to include lipsticks, lip scrubs, eyeshadow palettes and highlighters.
He is reported to be worth $5 million and ranks in the top ten biggest influencers on Forbes. This is mostly due to his makeup line which has apparently outsold the notorious ‘Kylie Cosmetics’. Every time Jeffree releases a collection, you can guarantee makeup addicts will scramble over each other to get their manicured mitts on his range.

However, Jeffree has come under a lot of fire over the years for his less than angelic behaviour. There has been accusations of racism, bullying and poor treatment of fans as well as throwing allsorts of shade at makeup artists, brands and fellow YouTubers. This is outlined in a video by Stephanie Nicole on her YouTube channel.

Despite this shadowed past, people still flock to buy his products, myself being one of them. I personally succumbed due to the range of unique colours; Scorpio and Androgyny being my favourites.

I asked the lovely ladies at Queens of the New Age why they bought Jeffree’s products and I was blown away with the amount of positivity I received about the brand. My fellow makeup queens raved about the long lasting formula, the cute packaging and the fact that they are cruelty free and vegan.

There was also a lot of praise for the man himself for embracing being different and not the same as all the other YouTubers. Also as one member, mentioning the previous controversy said he had apologised and after all, we have all made mistakes and done silly things.

Now the reason I was prompted to write this post was the release of his ‘Chrome Summer Collection’. I was so excited to see what shades he would bring with his 8 Velour Liquid Lipsticks, 5 Lip Ammunitions, 2 Skin Frosts and 3 Lip Scrubs. I watched the video with the lip swatches and found myself saying ‘Hasn’t he already done that?’ and ‘I already have a dupe of that’.

The one unique shade, Venus Flytrap, a chartreuse colour, I will not purchase on account that I would probably never wear it as my other green shade ‘Dirty Money’ has only been used once. I may purchase ‘You Better Work’ but not quite yet as I have so many very similar purples but I have to admit that the quality of them are so good that it is hard not to resist.

After only three years of trading, Jeffree Star cosmetics has risen to epic heights in such a short time, the sheer amount of lipsticks he has produced in that time maybe begs the question ‘have we had too much, too soon?’

Jeffree has done in three years, what some brands have took many more to do, he is definitely a success. As for his continuing courting of drama and controversy, I will let you be the judge of that. Ciao for now makeup fans xx

16 Comments Add yours

1. dalalyagoubi says:

Believe it or not I never heard of Jeffrey Star, I was very intrigued by the picture though (def going to google him now) 😃

1. lifewithmrst says:

He is definitely a character, he has his own youtube channel

2. David says:

I’ll have to check out the YouTube channel. This seems like an interesting one indeed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!

1. lifewithmrst says:

He is interesting to watch just for his larger than life character

3. Eh I go back and forth on him tbh! I mean I knew of him because he used to be on the alternative music scene more and saw him signing stuff at Warped Tour back in the day. I think it’s impressive his business success in the beauty industry so fast and I like he’s a vegan/cruelty free line. However, I’m not sure if success so fast is sustaining since I’ve heard he’s been part of quite a few PR scandals now I believe(?). Food for though though in this post for certain on branding and celebrity status!

1. lifewithmrst says:

I have only ever known him for makeup really. I think a lot of people are being mislead by branding and the endorsement of celebrities.

Liked by 1 person

4. I remember ol’ J Star from MySpace! I am not much of a makeup wearer but I would LOVE to snap some selfies in that Venus Flytrap color. L.O.V.E.!
    entirelyerika

1. lifewithmrst says:

Venus flytrap would look great as eyeliner

5. Humaira says:

I’ve so far managed to stay away from his cosmetics line because of the drama around him. Tempted but I’ve managed to stand my ground for now. I think supporting an influencer who is squeaky clean is a crazy thing to expect in this day and age, but we can all be wise with our money and decide to support someone whether we believe in their brand enough despite the PR scandals.

1. lifewithmrst says:

I can’t believe in this age of information there are still people exposing themselves to these or scandals

6. Tori says:

He definitely is a huge personality – I’ve heard good things about his makeup range but haven’t purchased anything from it myself.

1. lifewithmrst says:

His liquid lipsticks are really good, I prefer beauty bakerie but they are really good quality

7. lifewithmrst says:

I think we will hear a lot more from him, with him being so vocal and all that business

8. katesparkleandthecity says:

Well, i think his time under the spotlight hasn’t finished yet, but if he continues doing similar videos over and over maybe it will.

xoxo