Why gratitude is important
Gratitude has been proven to reduce stress. The act of focusing on the positive things throughout life is the foundation of mindfulness practice.
What has made you smile today? What moments in your hectic day did you feel good? Gratitude does not have to be about big things; it can be the smell aspects that help us get through the day.
The glass half empty effect
It is often easier to focus on the negative, our brain is programmed to do it. As a species, we are programmed to focus on danger as a way to survive. However, our minds tend to twist every negative into a danger and we become stressed.
Have you ever had a bad day but then looking back realised it was not as bad as you thought? Since I have been practising gratitude I have noticed some amazing things throughout the day that would be otherwise missed in the fog of negative thoughts.
That smile someone gives you and the sun shining on your drive to work are all examples of little things that make your day good. Focusing on the good in life will help bring a whole new aspect to life.
I have put together a list of things that make me grateful for what I have. These are small things that make me smile. These are the things that fill my cup full of joy.
- Caramel lattes either hot or cold
- Playing with my kid’s hair
- Cuddles with my family
- I can express my mood through makeup
- Making people laugh/ smile
- Waking up to hear the birds singing
- Laughing so much my belly hurts
- Being able to do a job that helps children grow
- The smell of the sea
- Walking on a clear, sunny morning.
- Fresh breeze on a warm day
- Spraying setting spray on my face
- Elephants and my daughter doing an elephant noise.
- Silly animals/ children videos
- The smell of my favourite perfumes
- Getting into bed when the sheets are fresh
- Kind gestures like opening a door or taking the time for someone just to say hello
- The smell of oranges, mandarins and Satsuma
What things brighten your life; let me know what things you are grateful for in the comments. Sometimes we need to take a step back, look at the positives to appreciate just how many good things we have in life around us.
Ciao for now beauties xx